You don’t need to be a web developer to know how to build a website on your own. Technology has changed and there are now simpler ways to easily create websites.
Whether you want a website for personal use or business, the whole process can be summarized into just 6 steps!
How to Build a Website From Scratch in 6 Practical Steps
If you have one or two hours to spare and a few dollars in your account, then you can easily set up your website using the following 6 practical steps:
1. Choose the Domain Name
This is the first and most important step that you should consider. A domain name is a unique identification in the form of a URL or web address.
Generally, domain names usually take two essential elements: the website’s name and domain name extension.
For Instance, Facebook.com is a domain name whose website name is Facebook while .com is its domain name extension.
But what is the correlation between a domain name and building a website? Well, this is the address that your visitors will be using when accessing your website via web browsers.
It’s advisable that your domain name should try and complement the niche you are operating in. You can get a domain name for as cheap as $10-$50 annually.
How to Get a Domain Name
You definitely want to get a good domain name. Well, here are some of the tips that you need to consider.
Make sure that your company’s name and domain name match if you are creating a business website. If your company’s name is Forum then your domain name should be something like Forum.com.
In case you are setting up a personal website, then you should consider a domain name with your name. For Instance, JohnDoe.org.
There are several domain name extensions based on the model of the website you will be operating. The most common extensions include .com, .org. and .net.
However, you can also choose country-specific extensions if you aim to target visitors based on the country. It could be:
- .us for the United States
- .uk or the United Kingdom
- .de for Germany
- .ca for Canada
- .au for Australia
What If the Domain Name is Already Taken?
There are high chances that the domain name you want has been probably been taken. There are over 300 million domain names that have already been registered. But a wide range of options is still available.
It’s also possible for you to get a free domain name during the first year.
So, if you haven’t found the right domain name and you even don’t have the finances to acquire one, don’t worry. We’ll handle this in the next step.
2.How to Build a Website For Beginners: Registering for Free Domain Name and Web Hosting
Before we even get into details about how you can have a domain name, how will you host your website?
It should be noted that once you get a domain name you need a service provider who will host your website. This helps to ensure that it’s online and running.
In most cases, most web hosts also offer domain names so it becomes one major combinational activity. This definitely makes the process of how to build a website easier. For a WordPress website, the best web host is usually BlueHost.
Why Choose Bluehost?
- One-click and free installation for WordPress
- You get a free domain name in addition to SSL security
- Customized email accounts
- 24/7 customer support with multiple communication options
- Unmetered or unlimited bandwidth
It should be noted that BlueHost normally offers free domain registration for 1st time users during the first year.
The fact that you will be able to get a domain name, as well as web-hosting services by the same company, enhances efficiency. You will be able to save money and your precious time.
BlueHost Web Hosting Account
- Go to BlueHost’s official website and select the web hosting solution that costs $2.75 per month.
- Choose the web host plan that suits your needs. If you have a new site, then simply choose the basic plan. Choice plus is great if your site has already been running.
- Next, set up the domain name. You can create a new one or use your own existing domain name.
- Complete the installation process but choosing the type of site you want to set up. Personal or Business?
3.How to Build a WordPress Website
The first two steps are considered to be the backbone of any website. However, the setup process through the web host is also important.
You need a Content Management System (CMS) to set up and manage your platform. In this case is, of course, WordPress. It’s the most popular CMS since it’s simple to use and the installation process is easy.
Besides that. WordPress also features a broad range of add-ons and free design options. So, you will have access to all the tools you need to make your website appear unique, attractive, and still professional.
You don’t need technical knowledge to set up your WordPress website. When you are using a web host such as Bluehost, then the setup process will be automatically done for you.
Note: most web hosts also offer the “WordPress Install” feature. You can easily find this in the cPanel. So, you don’t have to worry about the installation process.
How to Install WordPress on Bluehost
Once you have logged into your Bluehost account:
- Go to “My Sites” then “Create Site”.
- Go ahead and provide the basic information related to your site before the installation process begins. Not WordPress will start installing on autopilot.
- Once the setup is incomplete, a dialogue box with installation as well as login details will pop-up. You can screenshot or write the information for reference purposes.
- Test if everything is working by typing your website’s domain address in the web browser.
- Go ahead and verify the SSL/HTTPS Settings. Understand that the SSL certificate is responsible for providing your website with security. The best thing about using BlueHost is that it will automatically add to your website SSL. To check the SSL status, first, log in to the BlueHost portal, go to “My Sites” > “Manage Site” > “Security” > “Security Certificate” > “Free SSL Certificate”.
If your website is secured, then you should be able to see a lock icon placed next to your website’s domain name.
Generally, the SSL may take a few hours before it’s completely set up. So, if it’s not yet set up, simply continue to build and customize your website.
4.How to Build a Website: Design and Customize Your Website
At this point, your website is now live online! But you need to customize and restructure it so that it has your own branding elements. So, how should you go about this?
The best thing about WordPress is that it has a wide range of design packages to choose from. This means that you can easily change the theme wherever possible. You can choose from the numerous free themes. Alternatively, there are also thousands of paid WordPress themes.
If you want a free theme, you can select popular themes from WordPress.org. Generally, we usually recommend Neve because it allows you to quickly customize your website and easily grow your website.
WordPress Theme Installation
Once you have selected your preferred them, go to the admin YOURSITE.com/wp-admin interface on WordPress. You will be required to use the Login details you received during the WordPress installation process.
- Go to “Themes” and select “Add New”.
- Type “Neve” in the search box and click on install.
- Click the “Activate” button after installation.
Note: once the installation and activation are successful, you will get a success message.
Structure Your Website
Note: This section is for those who have only installed Neve Theme.
To enhance the design of this theme, click on the big blue button and pick from the over 20 free designs. They are designed to cover different niches including:
After your selection, click on “Import” and once everything is successfully done, you will get a confirmation. Further design options can be found in “Appearance – Neve Options”. From here, you can choose:
- Your blog’s layout
- To upload logo
- Layout options
- Footer options
- Header options, etc.
These are design features that look like small blocks of content. Widgets are normally found on the sidebars of websites. They are perfect for customizing the website. To customize and configure the widgets, you need to go to “Appearance” then “Widgets”.
Test and Experiment Your Website’s Theme
You have made a few selections in terms of design structure and appearance at this point. So, it would be nice if you experiment to test the effectiveness of your website. Everything needs to look original and related to your brand.
If there is still a need for customization, then go to “Appearance” > “Customize”. Don’t restrict yourself to the initial selection. It’s always nice to play with the wide range of available options.
5.How to Build a Website: Add Pages and Content to Your Website
The essence of creating this website is so that you can share content with your target audience. It’s time now to add content and create additional pages.
We can describe a webpage as a document that’s on the web. However, it’s slightly different because it needs to have elements such as a footer and header.
With WordPress, adding content and creating additional pages is a straightforward process. Here’s a brief overview of the basic components of a webpage.
- Homepage: it’s the first and most important page. The homepage is the page that any visitor checking your website will come across.
- About Page: it’s the 2nd most important page. This area should describe the purpose of your website.
- Blog page: it’s considered to be the “main content” page. The blog page should contain all the listings of the most recent posts. You can also use it to post announcements, new releases, or brand news.
- Service page: this area is mostly used to highlight the services you are offering if your website is for commercial or business purposes.
- Contact page: this page gives visitors the available options that they can use to contact you.
- Shop page: you can create this section if you are launching an e-commerce website.
6. Learn How to Build a Website: Design the Navigation Menu
Everything is set and your website’s design is almost complete. But does its design make it easier for users to navigate through the different pages?
Once you have created and customized your pages, then you need to set up the navigation menu. This is a design feature that will help your website users move from page to page while accessing your website.
To set up the navigation menu:
- Go to “Appearance” > “Menus” > “Create a New Menu”.
- Add the title, then select the pages that you want to add to the menu. Note that you can also add other things to the menu including custom links and posts.
- Click “Add to Menu” and then the selected pages and items will be added to the menu.
- To arrange the items on the menu, use the drag-and-drop feature. You can also choose the menu’s display location, depending on the theme.
- Save the menu.
If you are creating an eCommerce store, then you will need to go an extra step. But WordPress is a highly versatile platform with many design functionalities. So, it would still be easy to easily build a functional online shop.
To effectively do this, you need Woo Commerce plugin. It’s currently the most functional and popular e-commerce solution for those who are using the Website. It should be noted that after you have successfully installed this plugin, you will come across new pages for:
- Cart i.e. the shopping cart
- Checkout page
- My account – holds the customer’s profile
The above reviewed 6 steps provide a straightforward way of how to build a website. If you are using WordPress, the whole process is even simplified since this platform simply needs a “one-click” installation.
When you are starting to create your website, ensure that you choose a domain name the complement’s your website’s identity.
Additionally, it’s important to choose an effective and reliable web host company such as BlueHost. Find a theme that works for you then go ahead and customize your website’s appearance.
To promote ease of access and use, ensure that your website is easily navigable and can be effectively accessed through multiple devices.
If you manage to complete our guide successfully, consider leaving your testimonial to our email – [email protected]
Related article:How to start a Blog
Ross is the founder of Hostingwhich, a free resource site where you can learn about Starting your own Blog & also find out about Web Host Services. Click here to learn more if you want to start a blog.